Monday 13 November 2017

My Last Year Of School


In 1988, I finished my last year of high school. Almost 30 years ago. Yikes. I'm OLD.






I have to admit, I don't remember a great deal about it. I certainly wasn't studying like a maniac for the HSC. I had a bit of a laid back, I'll-do-it-tomorrow approach to it all. Coughs. Nothing's changed...

I was most likely too busy doing other important things. Just like every 1988 era 17 year old. You know, like watching The Comedy Company (which apparently premiered in February of that year) and  listening to my Carpenters and Barbra Streisand records... Oh wait...

Okay, I have no idea what regular 17 year olds did. But I suspect they had boyfriends and would sneak out to drink and try to get into night clubs...

But I totally did wild and crazy things too! Like staying up really late and watching the US today show when it came on at midnight or something. I'm such a rebel. Snorts. Oh yeah, there was an embarrassing incident when I sarcastically announced to the class that I was rebel, but I don't remember the finer details. Hmmmmm.

I had absolutely no idea whatsoever what I wanted to do when school ended. To this day, I still don't. I'm sure I'll figure it out one of these days.

Anyway, I don't feel like ruminating about all of that. So, instead let's just laugh at the fashions and hairstyles.

Here I am with my infamous mullet-perm.





I was kind of cute in a dorky way. Sort of. Maybe. Oh, shut up.


As I've already mentioned, I loved The Carpenters and Barbra, but predictably, I also loved Madonna. It was 1988. I was 17. I think it was compulsory.








I was stupidly shy and insecure, but at the school formal I thought I was pretty special in the dress my mum made me (Pictured above). It was ruched and strapless, and then it had this tulle over skirt thing with a gigantic bow. I think bows were a thing in the 80s.

Also, check out the lovely old carpet my parents had.😂

Not to mention to the beautiful doiles on the armchairs. Noice.

The only other thing I remember is that I completely bombed out in the HSC. Sigh. Sad face. 😭 I guess I am one of those reasonably intelligent people who just doesn't do well in structured exams. That's what I tell myself, anyway. Or it could have been that lack of studying thing... Oops. 

Anyway, fast forward 29 years and here I am smashing life and being delusional awesome, so all good. 

To be perfectly honest, I'm glad those school days are over. I was always a Nelly No Friends and therefore desperately lonely. Sigh. 

So I'm quite happy to be old after all. 

What about you? 

What do you remember about your last year of school? 


9 comments:

  1. I had that mullet perm!! ROFL. My final year of school was 1987 so we are the same vintage. You looked lovely. Your dress is actually pretty damn good for the day. Mine was electric blue with the big bow on the hip and HUGE puffy sleeves. Taffeta of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good vintage. And thank you, I did look sort of sweet in retrospect. Can't help laughing at the image of your electric blue taffeta number Bwahahahaha!

      Delete
  2. Your parents' carpet reminds me of my grandparents' carpet.. and my parents had so many doilies as well! Your school formal dress is awesome and I'd wear it now. That probably says more about my fashion sense than anything else. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum still has it at her place if you're interested! LOL

      Delete
  3. I remember wearing a dress my mum made me for my year 12 formal - it was bright red. I wore red lipstick and pale foundation too which made me look like I was dying of consumption...not my best look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL we all have a formal dress horror story! Maybe that look would have worked if Halloween was a thing back then.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I had that perm too, more than once!! Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, how could I have forgotten about The Comedy Company?

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes bows were definitely a thing in the 80s. And, I had that same carpet in my first flat in 1988! Ughhhh ...

    ReplyDelete