Monday 9 August 2021

Memories of Dogs and Dresses

Hello, dear people! Today I thought I'd take a take a delightful stroll down memory lane and recall the dogs I've loved and dresses I've worn. Why not? 

Incongruous perhaps, but that's how my mind works. Or doesn't work, as the case may be. Details. 

DOGS

Samantha

My devotion to dogs began early. At the age of around 3 or 4 mum and dad bundled my brother and I into the old Datsun 1200 and we drove to my auntie's place at Fairfleld.  My cousins were getting a puppy and we decided to do the same. Why not get one from the same adorable litter? 

Enter, Samantha the sausage dog.


Samantha and I circa 1981


She had to be Samantha because Bewitched was my favourite show at the time. Side note: let's take a minute to also appreciate my mum's glorious garden and my original shade of red hair (see above). It's hard to believe I was bullied and called a red headed rat rooter (among other things) because of it! 

Things I remember regarding Samantha:

  • Singing the Olivia Newton John song Sam (badly) to her
  • She went ballistic when the milkman came to deliver milk (remember those?!) Later we discovered he'd been unkind to her. And she wasn't about to cow down. Not our Samantha! 
  • I believe I tried to smuggle her into my bed once. Mum was very house proud and dogs were not allowed on beds! 
  • She loved food and became quite portly at one stage.
  • Eventually she was plagued with the back issues that effect the breed and passed away.  That was a devestating day for us all. 
  • She was truly unique. I know everyone thinks this about their dog but she was! Of all the dogs I've loved she was definitely the most intelligent. I swear she understood everything you said as if she was human. But better. Cause everyone knows dogs are better than humans. 

Skippa and Penny 

Left: Samantha and I circa 197?
Right: Penny, Skippa and I circa 1985ish

To be honest I can't remember which of this duo came first. They had a litter of puppies together. Skippa also had the same back issues, but Penny plodded into old age and keeled over in my parents backyard one day. They were both sweethearts. 

Betsy and Jake

My parents didn't have any more dogs for a while. Then they got a beautiful beagle named Maggie. By then I was out of the house,  married to Mickey Blue Eyes. Maggie had a litter of puppies and I wanted one. Enter, Betsy.  I earnestly promised Mick I'd  pick up after her etc. Spoiler alert: I didn't. Oops. 

My beautiful Betsy girl

Now in the meantime we had also ended up with Jake. A little yappy overgrown rat. Betsy and Jake were quite funny together and chased each other around the outside of the house. Watching their antics was hilarious. 

Admittedly, I had a love/hate relationship with Jake but Mick adored him. He yapped his little bum off until the ripe old age of 17. 

Cookie 


The magnificent Miss Cookie 

Another very special girl. Cookie was our first rescue dog but she rescued us, really. She was so sweet and gentle. Unfortunately she'd had breast cancer before we adopted her and it returned. We had to let her go last year and it broke my heart. I'll never forget Cookie.

DRESSES

All of the following dresses were sewn by my talented and generous Mum. She's a bloody legend, and I have been rather spoiled over the years. There has been some talk of selling them, but to be honest I'm not sure I can let them go. To have such beautiful garments, including my wedding dress, handmade by my mum is something so special I can't put it into words so I'll let the pictures say everything: 

Year 6 Formal



I don't have any scanned photos 
of 11 Year old me wearing this but I did.
And I adored it. Still do. 


Year 10 Formal 




Gotta love the hand on the hip pose. 

Year 12 Formal






Other formal dresses 













Wedding dress






The Vogue pattern mum used 

And that concludes today's memories of dogs and dresses. Cue wistful sighing.

Until next time,

Ness 

4 comments:

  1. I love that you have those dresses still (and how ahead of the Insta-Influencers were you with that hand on hip??) We had no dogs on the beds (but we had great danes so that might have been why) but our little pup is on everyone's beds and the couch and thinks they're a human...ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your mum is a genius. That's amazing she sewed all that. Love the puppies and that dogs have been such a big part of your life. I'm glad to see you blogging again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ness well.... I must confess I'm not exactly into dogs or dresses. I grew up with dogs and I loved them but we always had 'outside' dogs and I just don't live the sort of life to have them now. And I'm weirdly anal about fur and fluff so wouldn't want a dog inside. Several of my friends are obsessive dog lovers however and have to and pat every dog they see and their own dogs are very cherished members of their family.

    I particularly love that green formal dress as that's a stunning colour and looks great on you. And I love that pic of you in your wedding dress looking down at the end. You, your hair, dress and flowers all look so so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely trip down memory lane Ness. We all need to share those memories. They are heart warming too. Your Mum is a very clever woman alright. Knowing she and I are Mums of 1971 baby girls, let me tell you (I am not a sewer) that our daughter and you chose very similar colours for Year 10 (pale blue) and Year 12 (black). Awesome to see you and you are a beautiful woman. Your Mum is your champion too. Thanks for linking up for Life This Week. Next week's optional prompt is Shopping and it will be interesting for me to decide what to write! So much has changed in #lockdown this time round. Hope to see you link up too. Cheers, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete