Monday 22 October 2018

Quick Meal Ideas #LifeThisWeek


The other day Mr (almost) 10 woke up bleary eyed and immediately asked me that dreaded question: What are we having for dinner?

Before breakfast.

Seriously?

In fact, it's common for him to not only ask what's for dinner, but what's for dinner TOMORROW.  Didn't I just feed them yesterday?



Needless to say, I am constantly thinking about what to feed people. Of course. the obvious solution would be to set up a meal plan. I haven't done that as yet, so maybe I will at some point. I kinda just go with whatever I have on hand in the fridge and pantry, and buy whatever's on special.

Since I'm at home (mostly), it makes more sense to do a small to medium shop a couple times a week instead of one big shop. I waste less this way as well.

When it comes to cooking, sometimes I like it, and other times I'd rather poke my eyeballs out. Therefore it's good to have a few quick and easy meal ideas. Because I'd really rather keep my eyeballs. They come in handy for seeing stuff, and also crossing them for good luck. Why just rely on your fingers?

I digress. As usual. Moving on.

One of my favourite go to recipes lately is a quick red chicken curry I got out of a Coles magazine. So I can't take the credit for it. It's this:

You brown chopped chicken breast or thigh fillets (whatever's on special- see above) in a little olive oil. Then remove and cook roughly chopped red capsicum with a third of a cup of red curry paste. Add the chicken again and a tin of coconut milk or cream. Chuck in some baby spinach and serve with rice. I vary the veggies depending what I have on hand.

Another current favourite is a noodle stir fry. We've progressed to two out three boys eating these things now. I'll call that a win. Mr (almost) 10 is a plain meat, potatoes and corn kinda guy, like his dad was when I met him. That's OK. I definitely would never have eaten anything remotely curry like at age ten. He'll get there.

Of course you wouldn't be Australian if you didn't resort to a good old BBQ chook with rolls and salad. Laziest easiest meal ever!

Then there's always lazy shove-it-in-the-oven dinners. Pies, pizzas etc. Certainly not the healthiest option, but sometimes necessary for your mental health. We try to compensate by having a juice or green smoothie. Admittedly, not as good as eating your greens, but better than nothing.

We're also breakfast or lunch for dinner kinda people, so we might have toasted sandwiches, bacon and eggs or pancakes for dinner. Not all of them at once, you understand, just one or the other.

By now I'm sure you're getting the district impression that we're health fanatics and living our best lives. Correct.

Pancakes for dinner = Best life.

I serve them with fresh berries so it's healthy!!

HMPH. You're just jealous.

That's a wrap.

Boys will be home soon asking that question...

What's for dinner?

What are your quick meal ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Big fan of toasted sandwiches for dinner!

    SSGxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toasted sandwiches are great for dinner. I'm all for quick easy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, very practical and I am relishing toasted sandwiches now I have teeth on top and can bite and chew!!
    Thank you for joining #lifethisweek. Next week's optional prompt is "I Want This". Denyse

    ReplyDelete