Monday 17 October 2016

Which Anniversaries Are Special?







Hi there! Here we are on another MAGNIFICENT Monday! Everyone's favourite day of the week. When it's a public holiday. Today isn't.

But you probably already know that if you're at work. And may I say, you have made a most excellent choice. Procrastinating from work by reading my musings. Well played. I certainly won't tell anyone. Your secret is safe with me. 

I'm all about making your Monday all better in any way I can. So I'm here to provide you with a few minutes of escape from your to-do-list. (Although I can't imagine why reading here wouldn't be at the absolute TOP of your to-do list. You need to sort your priorities).

Anyway, let's get on with it! 

Once again I am joining in for Life This Week. 

We are talking anniversaries.

This is timely, because in a few short weeks Mickey Blue Eyes and I will be celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary! 

It sounds quite impressive, doesn't it? That is, until I mention that on the exact same day it's my parents 50th wedding anniversary! How awesome is that? That definitely deserves bold, italics and an underline. Done! 

In order for Mick and I to clock up such an impressive record of marital stress bliss I have to live to my 70s and he has to live to his 80s. Bonus points if we actually remember each other if we get there. Stay tuned!

My parents, who I call Mum and Dad, and everyone else (except my brother) calls Alison and Michael (because that's their names - a bit of the old Captain Obvious is always handy...), were married on November 11th, 1966. They were exceptionally good looking. See below.

This explains why I'm so strikingly attractive. You can abandon your futile attempts to resemble and emulate me. It's not going to happen unless you were born into this gene pool. Sorry to break it to you. If it's any consolation, it's not easy being so gorgeous, but some one has to do it. It's a burden I must bear. So sad. 




My parents, Alison and Michael Lafferty, on their wedding day,
 November 11th, 1966


But back to anniversaries...

When Mick and I were planning our wedding, we didn't have any particular date in mind. We just decided to have a spring wedding because we like to be cutting edge and ground breaking.

It turned out that November was the only time we could get holidays to go away for our honeymoon. Believe it or not, I did actually go to work back then in the 'olden days'. Well, that's what our boys call the 1990's.

Coincidentally, the weekend that was free (to book the church) was the same day as my parents anniversary. November 11th! 
I asked them if they minded if we were married on the same day and they didn't.

It some ways it seemed right. They'd gotten married in the registry office and didn't  have a big wedding. Not that our wedding was over the top or anything lavish, but it was still more than what my parents had. So yes, November 11th is a very special anniversary in our family.

Having said that, it must be admitted that we don't always do anything specific on the day. But we do remember! Especially considering that it's also remembrance day! We'll probably have a meal and a glass of wine or two. Then we'll do something super exciting. Like sit on the couch and stare at our laptops as per usual. Sounds like a plan! 







And every single year we get a phone call from our elderly former neighbours to wish us a happy anniversary! It's so sweet of them to remember. 

Naturally, birthdays are also important dates around here. Because CAKE. Duh!

They are all conveniently spaced throughout the year: mine is January 15th, Mr 12's is on March 15th, Mr 15's is on July 10th, Mickey Blue Eyes' is August 11th and Mr (soon to be) 8's is on November 2nd. It's always good to have consistent cake opportunities placed throughout the year. And also the week. I mean, you should always have cake handy for special occasions. You know, like any day that ends with a Y. That sort of thing. 

This year also marks the beginning of a whole new kind of anniversary. I'm not sure I'd call it a 'special' one, but it's certainly one I'll remember...

December 4th will be the one year anniversary of my breast cancer diagnonsense. Needless to say, last year wasn't a very merry Christmas. I'm determined to enjoy it this year! 

Twelve years later, I can't remember the exact date that Mickey Blue Eyes was diagnosed with his bowel cancer.  So I have my fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyeballs crossed that the same thing will happen for me. Hopefully, the date will lose is significance as the years go by. 

Meanwhile, November 11th and all our birthdays will ALWAYS be special. 

So bring on the cake! 

Not on November 11th, right now! Monday ends with a Y! See? 


Linking up for Life This Week.

Also linking up for Open Slather and Mummy Mondays




Which anniversaries are special for you?

11 comments:

  1. I love that your anniversary is on the same day as your parents, as I'm sure your wedding day was a special day for them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you still get a call from your neighbours on your anniversary.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this Ness! Go 11 November..which of course is also Remembrance Day!! At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. How lovely this year's anniversary celebration will be for your parents!! I was in Year 11 (geddit!) when your parents married. Happy Anniversaries all round!! Thanks so much for linking up for Life This Week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha yep I geddit! It's a big milestone for my folks. Thanks for the kind wishes xo

      Delete
  4. Now I feel ripped off because I'm reading this in my lunch break. How stupid! I could have gotten a cuppa and read it this morning when I got in!
    Your parents truly are gorgeous, how do you even deal with being saddled with that level of beauty? It's pretty cool that you and your husband share your anniversary date with your parents.
    High fives all round for the adequate birthday spacing as well. Staggered cakeage is the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to work on your procrastination skillz! My parents still look pretty good in their 70s. And yes, can't understand why I'm not a super model. Snorts.

      Delete
  5. I bet your parents were so chuffed you got married on their anniversary. My eldest daughter was born on that day. In fact November is an awesome month, all my three were born in that month. Lots of cake...baking for me! I do remember I found out at the doctors I was preggers with my first, on April Fools day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were. It seems to be a popular day for anniversaries and birthdays! Wow to having all three of your kids birthdays in one month! Too funny that you found out on April Fools Day!

      Delete
  6. How incredible that you and your parents share the same wedding anniversary.
    I seem to have more sad than happy anniversaries I snuck my link in seconds before it closed this afternoon but one I forgot was my parents anniversary they celebrated 46yrs this yr and dad was 70!!! So the planning will start in earnest soon for 50yrs mum will want her letter from the queen �� she loves her royals xo

    ReplyDelete