Thursday 6 March 2014

Not So Guilty Pleasures

Good morning Groovers and Shakers (or afternoon as the case may be). Welcome to another fabulous Thursday, which is only one day away from Friday! This thought is comforting until the moment you realise you're a parent and Fridays mean nothing anymore. In fact, I have to be up on Saturday morning to take two out of three boys to trial soccer matches at 9am. YAY.

Today the illustrious Lounge Lizards want to know what my guilty pleasures are. I'm not sure I'm sufficiently guilty enough about any of my vices. I haven't been persuaded to abandon any of them that is for certain. Sadly it would seem that most of my 'not guilty enough' pleasures revolve around food.  Of the cakie kind. What a shock. You were expecting me to admit to having a Friday night bong every week. weren't you?

I'm afraid I agree with the wonderful Dolly Parton who famously said in her biography My Life And Other Unfinished Business: "Food is my weakness. I'll take a sandwich and a shake over a jug and a joint any time." You'll have to imagine Dolly's unmistakable twang.  Okay, so I read biographies by Dolly and other stars. Guilty. I may also own at least one Dolly CD titled Both Sides Of Dolly Parton. I'm not sure whether she was trying to be funny with that title.

Anyway, I think we've already established that I have the worst taste in music EVER, but since I'm shameless in my Carpenters addiction I'm not sure if it qualifies as a 'guilty' pleasure. I don't have one iota of ironic distance in my passionate love of their music. In fact, apparently this adoration makes me old school Emo. I knew I was sensitive and emotional.



When it comes to TV, I don't really watch much of it. I'd rather poke my eyeballs out than watch My Kitchen Rules or The Biggest Loser, but I have been known to take in a bit of Big Brother. This is purely for research purposes. Meaning, I have to keep up my bogan cred somehow for the sake of this blog. That's my excuse anyway. I mean, the whole Carpenters loving, goody two shoes Pollyanna image is totally ruining my bogan status. I need to shake things up a bit and watch some puerile Reality TV. It's either that or taking up a pack a day and slab of VB a week habit. Or giving my boys rats tails. Tantamount to child abuse some would say.

I'm also partial to bit of Dr Phil at lunch time. How's that working for you? It's working out okay, thanks Dr Phil. Until that stoopid The Doctors show comes on after it, then I have to switch it off because SQUEAMISH. Plus I don't want to be worrying about all the possible illnesses I may have. At least hypochondria is the one illness I'll never have. BOOM TISH.

The only other guilty pleasure I can think of is actually blogging itself. Then there is all the reading and commenting on other blogs which can all be time consuming. Meanwhile, there are a million other things I could be doing. At the very least I did my exercise first and broke a sweat before I paid any attention to this blog again this morning. All the other stuff can wait. Of course, I'm also addicted to Facebook. There's a very good reason for that.



I do feel somewhat guilty about the pitiful example I am setting for my boys by being online constantly. On the positive side I don't have an Iphone or Smart Phone so at least I'm not always online when I'm out as well.

But surely my most embarrassing guilty pleasure is when I come across an old Enid Blyton book and start reading them again as an adult. Frightfully shameful. Especially when I read a passage from Six Cousins Again the sequel to Six Cousins At Mistletoe Farm where the character says:

"Surely our ducks quack more loudly than any others?" groaned Mrs Longfield, early in the morning. "And need we keep that cock, he wakes me regularly at dawn?"

Upon reading this I chuckle as if I'm an immature eight year old reading it for the first time again. But you have to admit those Enid Blyton books were rather smashing. For children. Ahem.

Now, you'll have to excuse me. Dr Phil is starting. Shut up.

Linking up with Tegan from Musings Of The Misguided for The Lounge.

                                               
                                                        What are your guilty pleasures?

17 comments:

  1. Heehee - love that Enid Blyton!!
    The good thing about Dr Phil, is no matter how bad your day may seem, at least you aren't those people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this may be the appeal - I want to comfort myself with the thought that however bad things seem they are not THAT bad. That's my excuse, anyway...

      Delete
  2. Guilty pleasures? Who needs them? They're usually more trouble than they're worth. I have a few that I'll share with you. I bet that I'll be one of the few to dive in the cold water on this one.

    A lot of people in our office are retiring, and they're hiring a lot of young people. I noticed that some of the women are really beautiful. It's like the flowers are blooming in the spring time. Then I catch my old self and reaffirm the love for my wife and get back to work, so it's really not that guilty.

    Oh Ness, I'd say that watching Dr. Phil is a horribly guilty pleasure. His hillbilly therapeutic dramatics are too much for me.

    Is this a guilty pleasure? I like to see KC in photos where she's wearing baseball gear; gotta love a girl who isn't afraid to slide into home plate. You got to be an American to understand the baseball thing. I used to have a co-worker who really liked Israeli women wearing military fatigues. We all thought it was a bit weird, but now with my fondness for KC in baseball gear, who am I to judge?

    You're not very guilty, Ness, and I like it that way.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love all pictures of KC but I'm not guilty about it. I could look at them for hours! It doesn't seem so bad once you realise that many others feel the same way. I go on and off with the Dr Phil thing. Sometimes I watch and sometimes not. Nothing wrong with a bit of eye candy at the office!

      Delete
  3. You were in my head yesterday Ness - I stood gazing at various cake type things trying to decide what to buy my kids for their afternoon tea (I actually don't like cake, thank goodness!) and I heard the word "cakie" wander through my head several times. What have you done?

    Guilty pleasures. Hmm. Thing is I just come out and admit to most of mine, guilt is not something I access very easily. Oh, ok, Gulp. Here goes...The Vampire Diaries. I'm sorry! Don't judge me! It's soooo terrible, cheesy, badly acted, full of plot holes and totally predictable - basically just an excuse to look at hot people biting one another, giving one another smouldering stares and getting their gear off - and I soooo love it. There, I think that's enough shame for one day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I've done that to a few people, made them start saying 'cakies' or 'cakie things'. Anyway, as long as you don't find yourself downloading a Carpenters tune I haven't done too much damage. I hope...

      Never really got into the whole Vampire thing. I read a bit of Anne Rice when I was young and then that was it. But if you love it, so what? There are worse things. Yes, there are. Big Brother is MUCH worse. Ahem...

      Delete
    2. I used to sing "Close to you" to my kids when they were young (and sometimes now that they are teenagers just to freak them out) - not as huge a fan as you, but can definitely appreciate the talent of the Carpenters, I have a CD somewhere :)

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I love me a bit of My Kitchen Rules. But purely for research purposes, you must understand (what research? I'll let you know when I figure it out!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the food they come up with is actually quite good, I just can't get past all the bitchiness and annoying personalities to get to that bit. But then I watch Big Brother. I make no sense...

      Delete
  5. I'll let you have Big Brother if you promise to never inflict rats tails on your kids..ever. One of the great things about having kids is that if anyone asks about the huge collection of kids books and movies you can just say it's for them..even the disney princess movies!

    Thanks for linking up with us at The Lounge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise, Tegan! Oh yeah, those Enid Blyton books are for my boys. Totally believable, right?

      Delete
  6. Oh Ness, you talk about the Carpenters like they're some kind of embarassing affliction. Take it from a very eclectic audiophile, they're not. They're the wonderful, sunny side of life, like a cool breeze in the summer and like a warm blanket in winter! I really don't get your embarassment about loving them. They're very much worth loving!

    Sometimes I think it would have been fun to play baseball with KC. I played it as a kid and was pretty good at it. Maybe KC and I will have a chance to play baseball together in the next life.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not embarrassed about liking them AT ALL. That's why I said it doesn't really count as a guilty pleasure. That may have been the one and only time I had any interest in sport - if I'd had a chance to watch KC play baseball. Sigh.

      Delete
  7. I love Dr Phil too, but alas I miss it so often. When I do catch it I get totally sucked in and involved. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've even managed to suck my husband in to watching from time to time.

      Delete
  8. You obviously have the old school enid books as thet are now all politically correct. I dont think there is a dick or fanny in sight let alone a cock!! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rolling Stone Magazine rates the Carpenters album Close to You at #175 in their top 500 greatest albums of all time. If you don't believe me, you can check it out at the following link: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531/the-carpenters-close-to-you-20120524. We're not the only ones who love them :-).

    Ben

    ReplyDelete