Monday 11 November 2013

Anniversary

Today, November 11th, 2013, Micky Blue Eyes and I are celebrating 18 years of wedded stress! Uh, I mean, bliss. So here is a bunch of old photos I dug out of the cupboard for your perusal.



Here we both are in High School. Not the same one, though. Considering that Mick is 8 years older than me, so he'd finished high school before I'd started.

Years later we met. We gazed at each other across a crowded Rotaract function- and made absolutely no impression on each other whatsoever. However, somehow a year or so later we ended up dating. At which point I was so taken with him that I apparently wrote him a love letter which I also found helpfully tucked away in the cupboard with all the dusty old photos. It contained a rather charming poem I wrote which went:

Roses are red
Voilets are blue
I couldn't find anyone else
So I thought you'd do

Touching, right?  How could he resist? He couldn't. Here are two of my favourite wedding photos. I think I like them because I had no idea they were being taken. Of course Mick isn't in either them but that's a minor detail. He was only the groom, after all.





Here we are, happily married, having over priced lobster for my 25th birthday. I must be approximately a hundred years old now, because it feels that long ago. Sigh.

Skipping over a few boring years to my 30th birthday when I was rather up the duff but unaware.

Later that same year, heavily pregnant and by now aware of the fact but only just. Long story. Tragically I look in much better shape when I was very pregnant than I do now. Ahem.

A few years later at our friend's wedding where I was Matron of Honour.

Celebrating our anniversary in 2006.

At our niece's wedding at Mt. Tomah Botanical Gardens, NSW, February 2008.

Later that same year when I was extremely up the duffian with Mr 5.

At this point I seem to have run out of photos which is weird because I'm such a shy person show off who is always running hamming it up for the camera.

But here is one taken on Mr 12's birthday in July this year, even though I usually don't post photos of my boys because I don't want to embarrass them with their bogan parents. Then again, isn't that what parents are supposed to do?

Happy 18th anniversary Micky Blue Eyes! It does seem like a long time. That is until I think of my parents who are also celebrating their anniversary! 47 years!

Happy anniversary Mum and Dad!


Oh yeah, I haven't forgotten it's also Remberance Day so - we will remember them! It's a good way to remember your anniversary too. Ahem.

I must confess I'm not sure if this is my shortest post but I'm linking up with I Must Confess anyway. So ner!



When is your anniversary (if you have one)? How do you celebrate? 

23 comments:

  1. Happy 18th anniversary to both of you !!!!! I LOVE those photos of you - you look amazing !!!!
    Our anniversary is on 16th December - in South Africa, it was a public holiday so we always had our anniversary off - unfortunately, John Howard wasn't keen to make it a public holiday here so, unless we take a days leave, we have to go to work on our anniversary now ! This year we celebrate our 26th anniversary.
    My folks celebrate their 53rd anniversry next week.
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 26 years! And 53 - wow! I hope we make it there! Very rude of us not have a public holiday for you on Dec 16th! Thanks, love. xo

      Delete
  2. I love that you put a collection of your coupledom photos spanning time. That's a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't get him anything else so it'll have to do. Ahem....

      Delete
  3. Happy anniversary! Your voilet poem was inspiring. And how touching that Micky BE kept it all these years. Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought it was quite touching. Thank you! x

      Delete
  4. Love these photos! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary Ness! I love the collection of photos - even though you may not have made an impression on each other at first, you certainly look like you've enjoyed a lot of good times together since then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really have had some great times so it's nice to remind yourself of them. Thanks so much, Kirsty. xo

      Delete
  6. Tomorrow we are celebrating 18 years as well. I just love your wedding dress. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I still love that dress too. Shame it doesn't fit anymore. :( And a very happy anniversary to you, too!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos, beautiful family. I especially love the first one of you getting married. Our anniversary is the day before St Patrick's day but we still manage to forget pretty much every year - years ago we started celebrating on the day we met in August instead. Then we forgot that too. About as romantic as that heartwarming poem ;) My youngest just turned 13, so I am on the slippery slope to death now, apparently. And on that cheering thought... xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason we remember is because it's Rememberance Day and also my parents anniversary too. Celebrating whatever day has meaning to you makes more sense anyway, I believe. I hate things like Valentine's Day.

      Yes, we're all on that slippery slope. Cheering thought, indeed.

      Thanks for the compliments. xo

      Delete
  8. Happy anniversary! You are a gorgeous couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to suggest you have your eyes checked but I guess I should take the compliment and run considering I rarely receive them! Thanks! xo

      Delete
  9. Congratulations and best wishes on your anniversary . I loved that poem!! :)) You both look very happy in all the photos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time has a funny way of catching up with us. Doesn't it? Well, I married my wife twice. The first time was near the ocean on the Montery peninsula in Pacific Grove, Calif. The second time was while we were married where we are now living. Bit of long story, so I'll spare you, but it's all great.

    We've been married 16 years and have been together for 21 years. It just seems like we met yesterday. Our celebrations are some what haphazard. On our 10th anniversary, we bought an expensive anniversary wall clock. You know, one of the kind with a nicely finished wood cabinet and you it wind up and it sounds the Westminster Chimes on the hour. I wanted to put an engraved plate on it that says, "Love is timeless" with our marriage date, but we didn't get to it just yet. Maybe it'll be something to do on our 20th anniversary. Our official date is 10 April. All I can tell you is that it's the best thing that ever happened to me.

    You and Mick make a great couple. You have three handsome boys. You're certainly blessed, Ness. Congratulations and I wish you many more to come.

    Cheers!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an absolutely beautiful idea that is - engraving the clock! Gorgeous! I never even think of doing things like that. Not sure if having two weddings would be twice as great or twice as stressful! Sounds like it was meant to be, though.

      Yes, I do feel very blessed to have Mick and the boys. Sometimes they drive me crazy but it's all part of it - good and bad. Thanks Ben. xo

      Delete
    2. We had three children too. We lost two of them before birth. It didn't make it any easier, but we count our blessing in our wonderful son.

      We couldn't have any more due to my wife's health problems. Sometimes it still haunts her.

      Love those boys, Ness. I know you do, but remember me when you think it's bad.

      You're welcome!

      Ben

      Delete
    3. Sorry to hear of your two angel babies. I have one angel baby whom I lost in 2007 so I know it's heartbreaking. I really do know that I'm blessed with my boys but yes sometimes I need reminding. Thanks, Ben. xo

      Delete