Friday 30 November 2012

Why I Started My Blog

For this post I am linking up with Musings of the Misguided on why I started my blog. Here's why:

Some time ago I started writing Christmas letters. You  know the kind. The ones where you detail everything your family has been doing all year. You make your life sound so busy, wildly exciting and interesting. Then go on to boast about your children being over achieving geniuses.

Except that I didn't do that. I told the truth. We are bogans. We are boring (mostly). When we go on a holiday it is to somewhere like Dubbo. Not that there is anything wrong with Dubbo mind you. But some strange people won't think it is as interesting as Disney Land. Weird.

Anyway, my Christmas letters met with a very  favourable response. A couple of friends actually read them. I think. Maybe. They said they did! Bloody liars.

So anyway, I started to toy with the idea of starting a blog.  But I never did. I figured we are too boring to find things to write about every week.

I forgot about if for  a while . Then started thinking about it again on and off. I tend to over think things and agonise for no reason. So one day, on a whim, in a weird mood, I just went, meh, what the hell, and started one.

It was at this point that I realised that I didn't have a single clue of what I was doing. So I kept doing it anyway.  Nobody read it except my Mum, but that didn't stop me. In fact, it's still mostly my Mum reading it. Thanks Mum.

I had no idea of what was actually involved in blogging and the whole concept of the 'blogosphere' was alien to me. In fact, for some time I thought having a blog was similar to having a Facebook account, except with a little more detail.

 Yeah, I know, I was jolly ignorant. Frightfully so. And I may have read too many Enid Blyton books as a child. Oh okay, I have read them as an adult too.  Which brings me to my other reason for starting a blog.

For some time, as a child, I was convinced  I was the next Enid Blyton waiting to happen. This was due to the fact that, ever since I was in 4th Grade, or Year 4, or whatever they call it now, in primary school, I had teachers compliment my writing ability. The compliments and encouragement continued in high school.

 However, my love of all things Enid, has meant my brain has remained firmly 'up the Faraway Tree' ever since I first read the book.

I'm a total off with the pixies space cadet. I can barely manage to stay on the same train of thought to actually finish  a sentence, let alone a full novel. Or even a blog post at times. What was I talking about?

Oh yeah. So, sadly, my Year 5 teacher's prediction that I was 'gifted' and a 'budding novelist' have not come true. Still, I figured that with a blog I can kind of. sort of, pretend I'm a 'writer'. Ahem.

So basically my reasons for starting a blog are to tell it how it is, warts and all, being bogans in Boganville, while simultaneously pretending to be a 'writer'.

Yep, that's my logic.

Why did you start your blog? Don't have a blog? Would you consider starting one?

And please, can someone finally answer the question I have been pondering for a while now. How did Enid Blyton turn out to be (according to Wikipedia) something resembling a bitch? I need to know. Why, Enid, why?   It's like finding out that Santa is just some creepy guy in a suit...oh wait..

13 comments:

  1. Love the name of your Blog and your candid writing. I still have no idea what I am doing most of the time and just muddle through, hoping for the best. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tegan! You're doing a great job 'muddling through' then! Thanks for having me on the link up.

      Delete
  2. I also used to write epic, truth-giving, trash-talking, self-deprecating Xmas letters, which my friends started asking for earlier and earlier each year. When a friend sent me a birthday wish in October and asked in the same sentence when I was sending my letters out, and then another friend said "You should start a blog", I thought about it for about 30 seconds and decided "I should write a blog".
    yeah, I'm deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, so glad you just went for it. I really love your blog! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Funny that we do go back to Boganshire.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might make it to Boganville Heights oneday. Maybe.

      Delete
  4. As a fellow chronicler of the mundane I can really relate to this post. When I was in Year 4 I envisioned myself becoming the next Laura Ingles-Wilder. The fact that she grew up in America's wild west in 1870s while I was raised in the Sutherland Shire 100 years later was no barrier in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I used to love Little House On The Prairie too. Maybe it's a shame we have to grow up and lose that innocence. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. I think that, as with other areas, certain bloggers like to give an air of being more knowledgeable, to imply that they are members of some amazing blogging club filled with special jargon and knowledge that we lowly outsider bloggers don't get to join - I think the truth is we are all just stumbling along doing the best we can. I've been incredibly fortunate in the last few weeks to have a couple of blogs featured, thanks to links on twitter telling me what was going on, and have received some lovely feedback which makes it all worthwhile.

    I started blogging last year, kept going for 2 whole months, because a friend asked me to write about our wedding in Las Vegas for HER blog. It was well received, and I am a mouthy bint, so off I went. But my mental health is changeable as the weather, and it became too much like work, so I closed everything down and deleted it. I started blogging again approx 8 weeks ago because I was ditching FB and another friend suggested I blog about why and by way of keeping in touch with everyone. And again, I generally have lots to say :)

    I blog for fun and entertainment, nothing more to it than that - and I started because I can't seem to stop talking and am blessed with a few friends who don't seem to mind listening. Not the most inspiring of tales, but the truth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your honesty, Alison, and I think you're a great writer from what I've read.

      Yes, I'll keep stumbling along. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  6. Thank you, and I am also enjoying your blog, making my way through it, post by post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heehee... I pretend to be a writer too. I even have a t-shirt with the word "Writer" emblazoned across the front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL why not? A good imagination is essential for a writer, right? Oh, and, erm, actual writing, I guess. Ahem.

      Delete