Saturday 10 November 2012

I Need A Hobby

I must confess that the only truly obsessive interest I have is my fascination with Karen Carpenter/Carpenters which I have already confessed, and frankly, it's getting bit old (to everyone else, not to me). Therefore, I really need a new hobby or interest. So, for today's I Must Confess I thought I would share this old post exploring a few options.

I MUST CONFESS: I Need A Hobby

So I logged onto the computer the other day, like I do most days, and began chatting with an online (or imaginary) friend.

"What have you been doing?" she asked, as usual.

My answer is always embarrassingly similar.

"Not much," I typed " the usual, just hanging around here."

"You don't do much, do you?" she helpfully pointed out. "You need to get a hobby."

I reminded her that I already had this blog and my Carpenters obsession, so I don't really have time for much else, but she seem unconvinced.

Perhaps she does have a point. Maybe I do need a hobby. 

So I thought I would take the opportunity to explore some options. Here goes:

SCRAPBOOKING : I currently do have several boxes of photos waiting to be sorted, so I could benefit from this hobby. However, I fear that I would go and buy all the bits and pieces and then just end up with even more stuff, without actually ever getting around to using it. So nah.

My boxes of photos awaiting sorting and my one
pitiful attempt at scrapbooking from years ago

KNITTING: This would make me feel like I'm a hundred year old woman named Enid. Oh wait, I already do feel like that when I wake up every morning, so...maybe. On second thought. No. Just. No.

CRAFT: I only have two words for this. One of them is rude. You figure it out.

ART: As I mentioned in my previous post, I possess zero artistic talent, as my greedy brother stole all the artistic genes. Hmph.

PHOTOGRAPHY: Laughable. I can never even figure out how to charge a camera or remember to take one to occasions.

GARDENING: I really, really wish I could drum up an interest in this, but alas the green thumb genes skipped me too, much to my Mum's dismay.

COOKING/BAKING: Considering my love of cakies I could possibly get into this. I may have trouble getting into to all of my clothes though, which are already alarmingly large. Too dangerous a hobby for me.

PETS: I accidentally murdered my dog. Enough said.

TEAM SPORTS: Micky Blue Eyes finds it astonishing seeing an old family video of me as a child, on an overseas trip to Holland. Why? Because I was actually running through the tulip gardens.(Well, it was more like skipping,but you get the point) This aversion to running, combined with a pathological fear of balls, pretty much rules this option out.

POLE DANCING: Now we're talking! Definitely a possibility.  I can't think of a single reason why a middle aged, overweight woman, with recurring vertigo shouldn't at least give this a go. You only live once.

LINE DANCING: While I'm sure I'd rock the whole cowgirl, western look, my curious dislike of country music (considering my generally woeful taste in music) makes this option a no go as well.

YOGA: Or Breathing Up People's Bum's, as it sometimes referred too. I have tried this in the past, and didn't mind it, despite having zero flexibility. So I may go all hippy drippy and get into it again.

In the meantime, I'll stick to boring you with this blog.

 Linking up with Kirsty from My Home Truths for I Must Confess.



Do you have any hobbies? Are there any you would recommend?

18 comments:

  1. I'm 100% in agreement with you and your aversion to team sports... and line dancing (as country music doesn't do too much for me either). My hobbies, I'm afraid, are terribly predictable... Music and writing. Ah, how original of me to start a music blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great hobbies, though. I haven't managed to find any others either...

      Delete
  2. I'm studying Psychology through Open Uni (Swinburne). Best thing I have done in a long time. Wish I had done it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be really interesting. I'm not very disciplined for that type of study. Or any studying really. Oh well, I'll think of something...

      Delete
  3. lol can't see myself pole dancing either! I used to be into scrapbooking but I now I have lots of materials and no time/desit so yeah, lot sof space taken up with junk! Good luck finding a hobby - personally I think blogging is a big enough one! By the time you plan and write posts, read other people's posts and comment on them, half your day is gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. geez, keyboard playing up but I think you get what I was trying to say :)

      Delete
    2. LOL, yep, I got it. Yes, I agree about blogging, people who don't blog, don't really get how time consuming(and addictive) it can be!

      Delete
  4. Sport - that's not a hobby - that's torture. In my opinion anyway!

    I didn't think I was into gardening until a couple of years ago when I started a vegie patch and now I am addicted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREE whole heartedly about sport. Not my thing AT ALL.

      So there may still be hope for me to grow a green thumb or two after all. You never know.

      Delete
  5. Since starting the blog I don't have time for hobbies, not that I had many/any to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, blogging is does take up a lot of time, but it's worth it. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. Reading this, we are so similar in our aversion to all things crafty and arty, it is really, really scary Ness! Apart from my obsession with all things LBD lately and of course blogging, I don't have time for much else. I do have a cross-stitch to complete for Delilah but that's as crafty as I'll ever get...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How could anyone find this blog boring. I love reading what you have to say. I don't think you need another hobby, blogging hobbies are all anyone needs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pole dancing sounds totally practical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pole dancing and team sports... not my things either. But I do or have dabbled in many of the options you've written about. I'm very excited to be back doing yoga too!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you just invented as hobby..'recycling a blog post which fits the prompt'. I say clever clogs to you!! Thank you for linking up for #lifethisweek 22/52. Next week's prompt: View From Here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your posts kill me every time. You've got this comedic timing that's EVERYTHING. Can that be a hobby? It should be.
    Meanwhile, you murdered your dog? ;) I'm sure there's more to that story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you have a perfect hobby in this blog. Reading your words is always entertaining and brings a smile :)

    ReplyDelete