Monday 5 August 2013

Scardey Cat Bogan

Today I had to go and be a pin cushion. I had a Glucose Tolerance Test. No big deal, right? We  all have to have them when we are up the duff. Compared to pushing a baby out it's NOTHING.

So why do I get all wobbly about it? Yes, I must confess, I am big chicken shit, scaredy cat when it comes to all things of a medical nature. I do not like blood or needles AT ALL.  The only way I can go about such a thing is to try to pretend it's not happening and look away. But my nerves are far too obvious and I'll usually get a patronising "Oh somebody doesn't like needles, do they?" type of comment from the pathology staffer who is about to jab me with the said needle. The fact that I am, of course, acting like the equivalent of a five year old and probably deserve their derision is entirely irrelevant. And they never give me a smiley stamp afterwards either. Hmph.
This isn't scary at all...*faints*

Hard to believe I spent months being jabbed with fertility drugs years ago and being poked and prodded in my quest to have a baby. I must have wanted sprogs very badly.

All of this leads me to the obvious conclusion that I need to:

a) grow up
b) grow some balls
c) grow some extra balls in case I lose the first ones, or
d) all of the above.

Might be d, I reckon. It's a tough one.

Spending two hours at a pathology place is somewhat depressing. A room full, of disgruntled, bored people, some of whom are ill and/or in wheel chairs. I realise I'm lucky because whatever the result of the test, I'll be able to do something about it. So I know I should get over being a sook and deal with it. Giving up cakies is not a big deal. Frankly, after having that revolting sugary drink they give you as part of the test, I'm not sure I want anything sweet EVER AGAIN. Or at least until tomorrow.

As well as being a big scaredy cat about all things medical, this week I've also been a gigantic sentimental sook. We had to go to Mr 12's High School interview. As we went over our paper work and what we had to take, I suddenly noticed that I still had baby photos of him on the wall. I do tend to procrastinate from updating things around here. And just procrastinate in general. But let's talk about that later. Boom Tish!

 Anyway, he certainly isn't a baby anymore. Realising this, I just lost it and started bawling. Yes, I'm a tad slow at coming to this stunning conclusion. I have to also confess that just as I have a hard time coping with medical issues, I also have a hard time dealing with change. My 'baby' is going to high school, my other 'baby' is starting kindergarten and I am officially middle aged as I begin the slow descent into old age and all the medical things that pop up with it. Possible Type 2 Diabetes. Yay.

All the things that I thought were years off are starting to become a reality. I used to think about Mr 12 going to high school and Micky Blue Eyes turning 50 and they were still far off into the future. Now they are a reality.  Really happening.

It's all good really. I just like getting myself all worked up and worried over nothing for no reason. Like the whole giving up cake thing. Gawd, my life is just FASCINATING. Why don't I just vomit it all over the Internet? Oh wait....

All of this can only lead me to the obvious conclusion that I need to:

a) get a hobby
b) get out more
c) get a life, or
d) all of the above

I think I'm going with option d. So excuse me while I proceed to go and get a life. Or something.

Linking up for I Must Confess, which is being hosted this week by Emily from  Have A Laugh On Me.


                                   Can you tell me where to go to get a life? Or just where to 
                                        go..............                            

28 comments:

  1. I'm with you - I got sweaty palms just reading about you having your blood taken !!! I had to do a 3 hr glucose test which sucked big time. I find the best thing to do is look away and ignore any horrible comments - just because they are happy looking at (and working with needles doesn't mean I have to be - how would they feel if I can them a spreadsheet full of figures and told them to balance it !!!!)
    I think time passes too quickly and we don't have a chance to get used to our children getting older so things like high school seem to creep up on us !
    I hope it comes back with good news for you !!!
    Take care !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I look away too. I even tried to make small talk (something I'm not great at) but the lady wasn't very chatty. Got through it, though. Glad it's over. Thanks, hon. xo

      Delete
  2. I hate having blood taken, but don't mind having an injection, weird I know. But having blood taken is just so horrible, especially when veins aren't easy to find - FAINT.
    I'm with you on this whole growing up bizzo, things are happening way too fast, like school, and boys asking questions. I hope the test comes back negative, that would suck ass having to eat less cakies :(.
    I also need a hobby, life, to get out more, but my excuse is young kids, mind you I will find an excuse for anything!
    Thanks so much for linking up Ness, it's very much appreciated lovely lady :) Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad they got a vein quickly. Made sure I drank plenty of water to help with that. I've heard that helps - and it seemed to. Yes, I'm all for using my kids as excuse for not having a life, and they're older than yours! Thanks, Em. xo

      Delete
  3. This gave me quite the giggle - especially since I'm off for the same test in about two weeks time. And then I've still got to birth the babe at some point too. Yay for me!

    I also hope your test comes back negative. Although it's not the end of the world, I know I struggle to lead a sugarless life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right it's not the end of the world. I'm just melodramatic. Especially about cake. Ahem.

      Good luck with your test and welcoming your baby to the World. xo

      Delete
  4. You poor bugger Ness! Needle fear is a common one & so hard to deal with - probably the trauma of being jabbed so many times as a kid or something! I hope the test comes back negative - but regardless, as you say, you can do something about it!

    I had one of those kids are growing up moments just recently too! My little baby girl has started walking - exciting, yes, but all I could think is, I have baby no more, there will be no more babies for me - at which time I burst into tears. I am such a baby!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no more babies here either. Mine is off to 'big school' next year. Know the feeling. Sigh. Thanks for the kind words. xo

      Delete
  5. Wouldn't it be even weirder to actually LIKE needles? Seems perfectly normal to me to hate them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it would. Unless you're a junkie. See, my needle phobia has saved me from becoming a heroin addict. That's a plus. Thanks for pointing that out. xo

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your test results.

    I know what you mean about the years speeding away - I'm beginning to feel like our nest is emptying. Yeah, the kids still live at home but they are NEVER HERE. It's fun in some ways but sad in others ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a cliché but they really DO grow up so fast, don't they? Sigh.

      Thanks for the good wishes. xo

      Delete
  7. I have to listen to my ipod when at the Dentist and in the chair. Yep...can't cope with the noises and sounds. I get this, I can't watch needles either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desperately need some sort of distracting gadget. What a great idea. Thanks. xo

      Delete
  8. I hate needles with a passion. I have to get a jab in my arm every three months for birth control and I hate getting them. I take DS though so I talk to him while I am getting it done so it doesn't look like I'm being a big scaredy cat lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, distraction is always a good idea. Thanks, hon. xo

      Delete
  9. Don't think about the pain. Think about the benefits of the test or immunization. I usually look away too when I get the needle. I never get any comments. Better to have a brief moment of pain rather than a lifetime of illness and chronic pain.

    Isn't it the truth about our children? They grow quickly. Spend time with them and love them. Some day they may take care of you. It's the strange truth to see our children grow up as we grow old and fade away.

    When my time comes, I'm hoping that I did enough good in life to merit seeing Karen sing in that great gig in the sky. That would truly be heavenly to hear that sweet, wonderful voice live.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right, a brief moment of pain rather than a life time of chronic illness.

      I try to remind myself that one day my boys will be gone and I will even miss things that drive me nuts, such as lego!

      And I certainly would love to be at that 'great gig in the sky'. Not just yet, though. Thanks, Ben. xo

      Delete
  10. I used to be petrified of needles until being stuck every 5 mins with one when pregnant, still don't look though but you are right, that test is a long and boring one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do what you have to do, especially when pregnant. Thanks for reading. xo

      Delete
  11. I had a needle break in my arm during a blood test once and I haven't been the same with tests ever since. I also have shocking veins and have had to have blood taken from my ankles when in hospital due to my arms refusing to play the game.

    I actually fainted at my last blood test for diabetes but this was due I believe to fasting and being left too long in the waiting room than actual nerves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrgghh a needle breaking in your arm? How awful. Fainting even worse. You're right, the waiting is the worst. Hugs. xo

      Delete
  12. My mom just started dialysis about a week ago due to kidney failure. She gets stuck with a sizable needle three times per week and has her blood cycled through a machine to purify it for three to four hours each time. The alternative to this is death. Needle sticks aren't so bad when you put it in this perspective. I've also come to the conclusion that I'm going to avoid the things that caused my mom's kidney failure.

    Ben

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really like your take on this. Just came back from the doctor, actually and I don't have diabetes just yet, but I do need to lose some weight as a preventative measure. So I'm glad I got it sorted.

      Hope your mother is okay. Thanks, Ben. xo

      Delete
  13. I hate needles too. I couldn't imagine actually giving one to someone either! Just couldn't do it. Don't feel bad, I'm pretty sure it's right up the top of most peoples phobia list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember that awful drink. My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, beyond awful. Made me queasy. Anyway, all done now. Thanks, love. xo

      Delete